The ICN Unilateral Conduct Working Group (UCWG) was established in May 2006, at the fifth annual ICN conference. Its primary objectives are to examine the challenges involved in analyzing unilateral conduct of dominant firms and firms with substantial market power, facilitate greater understanding of the issues involved in analyzing unilateral conduct, and to promote greater convergence and sound enforcement of laws governing unilateral conduct.
At the 2014 ICN annual conference, ICN adopted Recommended Practices on Predatory Pricing Pursuant to Unilateral Conduct Laws, developed by the Unilateral Conduct Working Group. The group continues to develop a “workbook” on the analysis of unilateral conduct. The workbook is based on the Group’s conduct work, recommended practices on dominance, and reports on the objectives of unilateral conduct laws, assessment of dominance, and state-created monopolies. To date, the Working Group developed an outline of topics to be addressed and drafted chapters on the Objectives of Unilateral Conduct Laws, the Assessment of Dominance/Substantial Market Power, Predatory Pricing Analysis and Exclusive Dealing/Single Branding.
Developing additional workbook chapters -- on forms of conduct as well as remedies -- will remain a key focus of the group moving forward.
During the 2014-15 ICN year, the UCWG will hold several webinars and possibly a workshop. If you are interested in hosting a workshop or have an idea for a webinar topic, please contact the co-chairs (see contact details below).
The UCWG held a workshop on Exclusive Dealing in September 2013 in Stockholm, Sweden.
The Co-chairs of the Unilateral Conduct Working Group are the Swedish Competition Authority, the Turkish Competition Authority, and the UK Office of Fair Trading.
For more information about the Unilateral Conduct Working Group, please contact:
Ms. Karin Lunning
Director, International Affairs
Swedish Competition Authority
Telephone: 46 8 700 1642
Mr. Ali ARIOZ
Chief Competition Expert in charge of International Affairs
Turkish Competition Authority
Tel: 090 312 291 41 13
Mr. Erdem AKTEKIN
Turkish Competition Authority
Tel: 090 312 291 41 42
Ms. Andrew Pickering
UK Competition & Markets Authority
+44 20 3738 6243
- Recommended Practices on the assessment of dominance/substantial market power (French version and Spanish version)
- Recommended Practices on the application of unilateral conduct rules to state-created monopolies (French version and Spanish version)
- Recommended Practices for Predatory Pricing Analysis Pursuant to Unilateral Conduct Laws
Working Group Documents
- Unilateral Conduct Workbook
- Report on the Objectives of Unilateral Conduct Laws, Assessment of Dominance/Substantial Market Power, and State-Created Monopolies
- Report on Predatory Pricing
- Report on Exclusive Dealing
- Report on Tying/Bundled Discounting
- Report on Loyalty Discounts and Rebates
- Report on Refusal to Deal with a Rival
- Case Annex Refusal to Deal and Margin Squeeze
- Questionnaires and Responses