The mandate of the Cartel Working Group is to address the challenges of anti-cartel enforcement, including the prevention, detection, investigation and punishment of cartel conduct cross the range of ICN members with differing levels of experience and resources. At the heart of antitrust enforcement is the battle against hard core cartels directed at price fixing, bid rigging, market allocation and output restriction.
The Cartel Working Group is co-chaired by the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets, the South African Competition Commission, and the Colombian Superintendencia de Industria y Comercio.
The Cartel Working Group consists of two subgroups:
Subgroup 1: Legal Framework (SG1) addresses the legal and conceptual challenges of anti-cartel enforcement. The focus of the subgroup is examining policy-level issues of the institutional and investigative framework for the detection and punishment of hard core cartels.
Subgroup 2: Enforcement Techniques (SG2) aims to improve the effectiveness of anti-cartel enforcement by identifying and sharing specific investigative techniques and advancing the education and information sharing agenda of the Cartel Working Group.
- Organizing a webinar series on the impact of private enforcement on public anti-cartel enforcement and one on increasing cartel deterrence through compliance programs;
- Organizing the 2015 ICN Cartel Workshop;
- Creating a compilation of a catalogue/menu on investigative powers for newer agencies;
- Creating a framework for the promotion of the sharing of non-confidential information; and
- Updating/Completing Anti-Cartel Enforcement Templates.
2015 ICN Cartel Workshop
The 2015 ICN Cartel Workshop was held in Cartagena, Colombia from October 18 - 21, 2015.
For more information about the Cartel Working Group, please contact:
Cartel Working Group Co-Chairs
Senior Strategy Advisor
Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets
Tel: +31 (0)70 7222664
Head: International Relations
Competition Commission South Africa
Tel: +27 123943204
International Affairs Coordinator
Colombian Superintendence of Industry and Commerce (SIC)
Tel: +57-1-5870000 Ext. 10630
Subgroup 1 Co-Chairs
Head of Unit, Antitrust Case Support and Policy
Tel: +322 295 4206
Deputy Secretary General for International Affairs
Japan Fair Trade Commission
Tel: +81 3581 1998
Subgroup 2 Co-Chairs
Executive General Manager, Competition Enforcement
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
Tel: +61 2 9230 9130
Assistant to the Head
Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian Federation
Tel: + 79 18 553 7862
- Anti-Cartel Manual
- Anti-Cartel Templates
- Leniency Waiver Templates and Explanatory Note
- Building Blocks Report
- Cooperation between Competition Agencies in Cartel Investigations
- Cartel Settlements Report
- 2010 Trends and Developments in Cartel Enforcement
- Onilne Compilation of Cartel Awareness Materials
2014 Cartel Workshop (Taipei, Taiwan)
2013 Cartel Workshop (Cape Town, South Africa)
2012 Cartel Workshop (Panama City, Panama)
2011 Cartel Workshop (Brussels, Belgium)
2010 Cartel Workshop (Yokohama, Japan)